Tuesday Topic: Engaging Your Kids In Ministry

From Amie headed to South Sudan: How do you engage your kids and help them feel involved in your ministry?

(P.S. Shilo has just passed her due date and is eagerly awaiting the arrival of their baby girl! Let’s all be praying for her little one to arrive safely and soon! We’re excited for you, Shilo!)

9 Responses to “Tuesday Topic: Engaging Your Kids In Ministry”

1. 1 Amie March 27, 2012 at 8:03 pm

Yeah Shilo! Cannot wait to hear the good news! So excited to hear your fabulous ideas. Right now we involve our kids in praying for our donors with us and stuffing prayer letters …

2. 2 shilocain March 28, 2012 at 12:52 am

Thank you!!! Praying she comes before Saturday so we can avoid induction.
    Right now we have the joy of introducing our kids to the amazing people that make our ministry happen. It’s really fun!! We try to pray for them on a rotating schedule too.

3. 3 Ashley L March 28, 2012 at 11:56 am

This is something that is always challenging for us since I find it hard myself to participate in our “official” ministry as much as I’d enjoy since we work with college students and the schedule and events aren’t all together too little-kid-friendly! I’d say that we mostly keep trying to cast vision to our kids by praying and continually talking with them about why we are in Russia and what it is that we do. We help our kids know how they can do those same things in their own spheres, like at school (loving people, serving people, sharing the gospel, etc.) and how no matter where we are, all Christians are missionaries. We do have students over to our home, and our kids get to hear conversation and see a bit that way. We’ve also gone to some ministry conferences and retreats. Sometimes they’ve worked out great as family ministry opportunities and sometimes they’ve been a disaster! Still trying to work that one out with little ones… I’d say overall at this point our kids probably don’t have a great understanding of our specific ministry work with college students, but I think they do very much understand that we are in Russia to love people and help them to know Jesus. That is fine for me right now and feels natural, but I do look forward to when it becomes more doable for them to actually see and understand more of our official ministry.

4. 4 Carole March 28, 2012 at 5:21 pm

Our kids help with cleaning the church, welcoming people, shoveling the porch off, etc… each thing they do in the ministry they know they are doing it for the Lord. We entertain quite often in our home and our children help in that “ministry” too. It’s fun serving the Lord together as a family!

5. 5 richelle March 30, 2012 at 7:28 pm

we try to do things as a family – we talk and pray about what is going on – our older kids have some awesome friends who are also ministry minded – the pastor’s wife at our church asked our two oldest to help – at first it was simple obedience. now, they feel God’s compelling to continue and teaching sunday school has become their ministry. i can’t honestly say it is anything we’ve done other than leave the opportunity open and try not to push, but to offer – God has done it with our oldest two and #3 is starting to get her feet wet, too.

6. 6 Kara Coe April 1, 2012 at 11:48 am

This is a huge question for us, as we’ve realized that at age 10, 7 and 5, our kids hardly know what we do. We talk about “telling people in Russia about Jesus” yet the work we do is mostly shepherding missionaries. The kids see Daddy go to the office, meet with people, and they see both of us talking on skype or writing a lot of emails.

We would love to get them envisioned for what God is doing here. I volunteer at a group home for foster kids, and I’d hoped the kids would come with me. But when they came with me, it was very difficult both for me and them. So now mostly they stay at home. I’m torn between requiring them to come play with the foster kids, or just waiting until God gives them the desire. When I have outreach groups for neighbors, my kids do well playing with the kids their age. But I hope for more! I’ll be following this comment trail to see what your ideas are!

7. 7 Amie April 1, 2012 at 4:04 pm

What a challenge it is to involve younger kids (from what I am hearing)…I think this is so important! We just when through some TCK training and they stressed that the number one factor to well adjusted MK’s had nothing to do with education, or field of service, but on parents relationship with each other and how vested the children were in the ministry. Did they feel a part of what you were doing or just a hindrance. I am thinking about actively praying with my littles (four under 5) but tangibly it is a bit harder to wrap my head around…

8. 8 turlutte hardcore May 14, 2014 at 2:47 pm

On va vous dire que ce n’est nullement faux ..

9. 9 suceuse brunasse May 16, 2014 at 2:55 am

Est-il possible de vous piquer certaines lignes pour
    mon site ?