Tuesday Topic: Encouragment from the Word

From Noelle in Kenya:  What Bible verse has strengthened or encouraged you the most during your time as a missionary mom? I have had chronic tummy problems since moving overseas, and am looking for some perspective and encouragement from God’s Word. Thanks!

(If you would like to pose a “Tuesday Topic” question, please email it to formissionarymoms@gmail.com . Provide your blog address if you would like to be linked to, and specify also if you would like to remain anonymous. Thanks!)

7 Responses to “Tuesday Topic: Encouragment from the Word”

1. 1 Kelly January 31, 2012 at 8:25 am

Nevertheless I am continually with You;
    You hold me by my right hand.
    You will guide me with Your counsel,
    And afterward receive me to glory.

Whom have I in heaven but You?
    And there is none upon earth that I desire besides You.
    My flesh and my heart fail;
    But God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.
    -Psalm 73:23-26

2. 2 Ashley L January 31, 2012 at 1:04 pm

I love Romans 8:23-39, and am so comforted by it when I am struggling and life is just painful and difficult.

23 And not only the creation, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies. 24 For in this hope we were saved. Now hope that is seen is not hope. For who hopes for what he sees? 25 But if we hope for what we do not see, we wait for it with patience.

26 Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words. 27 And he who searches hearts knows what is the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God. 28 And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. 29 For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. 30 And those whom he predestined he also called, and those whom he called he also justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified.

31 What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? 32 He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things? 33 Who shall bring any charge against God’s elect? It is God who justifies. 34 Who is to condemn? Christ Jesus is the one who died—more than that, who was raised—who is at the right hand of God, who indeed is interceding for us. 35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword? 36 As it is written,

“For your sake we are being killed all the day long;
    we are regarded as sheep to be slaughtered.”

37 No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. 38 For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, 39 nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

I also am greatly comforted by 1 Peter 1:3-8, Psalm 139, Psalm 142, Matthew 11: 28-30

Praying for you, Noelle!

3. 3 Carrie January 31, 2012 at 5:45 pm

Psalm 57:2 I will cry unto God most high; unto God that performeth all things for me.

4. 4 Liz K January 31, 2012 at 10:23 pm

Hebrews 11:8-16
    8 By faith Abraham, when called to go to a place he would later receive as his inheritance, obeyed and went, even though he did not know where he was going. 9 By faith he made his home in the promised land like a stranger in a foreign country; he lived in tents, as did Isaac and Jacob, who were heirs with him of the same promise. 10 For he was looking forward to the city with foundations, whose architect and builder is God.

11 By faith Abraham, even though he was past age—and Sarah herself was barren—was enabled to become a father because he[a] considered him faithful who had made the promise. 12 And so from this one man, and he as good as dead, came descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky and as countless as the sand on the seashore.

13 All these people were still living by faith when they died. They did not receive the things promised; they only saw them and welcomed them from a distance. And they admitted that they were aliens and strangers on earth. 14 People who say such things show that they are looking for a country of their own. 15 If they had been thinking of the country they had left, they would have had opportunity to return. 16 Instead, they were longing for a better country—a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared a city for them.

5. 5 Phyllis February 1, 2012 at 1:26 pm

I have had many verses at many different times, but right now what has been ringing in my head is a verse from Proverbs 31 in a different translation than I am used to. It says, “She is CHEERFUL about the future.” Over the years, God has taught me not to worry and fear what’s coming. This is one step further for me, and something new for me to learn and be encouraged by.

6. 6 Noelle February 2, 2012 at 1:50 am

Thanks so much for the encouraging verses! I love the way that God speaks through His Word!

7. 7 Tammy February 2, 2012 at 10:02 am

Besides all the great verses the ladies have already shared… When we lived in Kenya and were planning to move to the country of Tanzania I received a copy of the book Calm My Anxious Heart by Linda Dillow. It was such a help to me as we went through the difficulty of saying goodbye and moving. I would highly recommend it!