Tuesday Topic: Food Poisoning

Well, this isn’t a real Tuesday Topic, but probably something a lot of you can relate to! I’m just coming back after being violently ill from what I expect was food poisoning, so I won’t have any time to put posts up this week. Sorry, friends! We’ve had all sorts of more exciting tales involving food poisoning, like me being stuck in a hotel room at a conference with a baby and a toddler puking all over every towel, sheet, and inch of carpet and my husband and everyone else at the conference in a meeting and out of reach by cell phone… but this experience did not have such a thrilling plot. It was just me, horribly sick and sleeping both day an night. Thankfully I’m feeling much improved. Do you have any good battle stories to share?

7 Responses to “Tuesday Topic: Food Poisoning”

1. 1 jolenesloan January 24, 2012 at 8:17 am

Oh, I’m so sorry you’ve been sick and hope you are feeling better now!

2. 2 Shilo January 24, 2012 at 5:54 pm

Ug! Food poisoning is the worst. My husband and I got bad chicken when I was pregnant with my first child and it took us several years to be able to eat chicken again. 🙂
    I hope you are feeling stronger each day! Be sure to ease back into things gradually and give yourself lots of grace! Hugs!

3. 3 Becka January 24, 2012 at 11:52 pm

Oh, I am so sorry you are sick. This last Christmas our church had a lunch in which they served chicken with vegetables soaked in homemade mayo. Two No no’s. But a bigger no no is to reject food. I said to my mom (who had recently arrived in country) “this is gonna make you sick but you have to eat it anyway. Eventually your body will adjust and you won’t get ill anymore.”

I fully expected to not get sick myself or even for my husband and kids to get sick. “We’ve already adjusted and can eat anything.” I explained to my mom.

Famous last words. Husband was in the hospital for three days with Salmonella. My kids were sick, my parents were sick, and fellow 80 year old missionary got sick.

I however seem to be immune to Salmonella and therefore got to clean up after everyone else.

4. 4 Angie L January 25, 2012 at 5:28 am

I think I must have a weak stomach, because I just had food poisoning this past weekend for the 3rd time in maybe 3-4 years. This doesn’t seem to happen to normal people. I was wondering what would happen to me if I lived in a foreign country. Sorry you were sick, but hope you are better now!

5. 5 Ashley L January 31, 2012 at 7:35 am

Thanks for the nice notes, friends! And, Angie, it’s fun to share experiences together, but not food poisoning!!! =) I’m sorry you had to endure it too. NOT fun. And wow, Shilo and Becka, your chicken stories… yikes! They sure do make good battle stories though! I’m glad you are able to each chicken again, Shilo! =)

6. 6 Phyllis January 31, 2012 at 2:53 pm

Maybe this could be a Tuesday Topic soon? What have you learned about tummy troubles? We have had so, so many bouts of yucky stuff!

7. 7 Ashley L January 31, 2012 at 3:52 pm

Great idea, Phyllis! I’ll put this one up soon! Our kids get food poisoning every single time we go to a conference (stay at a Russian pensionat), but other than praying I have not known what I can do to avoid it or lessen the brunt…. I will totally be curious to hear some advice in this area.