New Years Goals

There is something beautiful about the new year and the possibilities that it brings with it. I love setting goals and dreams, so new years resolutions have always been about dreaming big and setting my goals high for the coming year.

Often these goals inspire me to love God and my family more deeply, but everything in life has a season. This season of goal setting for our family looks much simpler than in years past. We just welcomed our fourth child into the world and are in the process of raising support and moving to South Sudan. With our house filled with the noise brought by four children under six, it is easy to think of many good goals for the coming year.  I could categorize these goals into categories such as educational, financial, spiritual, family, marriage and many more,  but instead I find myself stepping back and trying to simplify my goals into what is really important for our family.

This year as we cuddle our newest addition and look toward moving to another continent, I find myself seeking to do three things; to  that ensure my family has clean clothes to wear,  clean dishes to eat from, and to begin each day with time set aside to know God more.

I have the opportunity to set the tone of my home, this tone can be one of organization, chaos, stress, or peace and this tone overlays every activity or disruption that life brings (especially life in another culture). But the best tone that I can give my family is one of gratitude and worship which comes only from seeking to know God. Other responsibilities and goals are important but if I can focus on this one main thing, the other pieces fall into place.

When I say that my goals are to simply to seek God (and feed and clothe my family) it is not that I do not value things such as my children’s education, our support raising process, housework, finances, or marital relationship with my spouse, rather it is that I cherish those things so much, meaning that I choose to do the one thing that makes them all work together. Simplifying goals also helps me focus my time and efforts on things that truly matter and challenges me to let go of the things that do not. At the end of the day I can look back and see a home that may not be as clean as I had hoped, a to do list likely full of un-checked boxes, and I can measure success not by what is unimportant, but by what matters. If the tone of my home is one of gratitude and worship, the other items become details of lesser importance.

What about you?  What are some simple goals you mothers have as you look to set the tone for your family this coming year?

(Post by: Amie)

10 Responses to “New Years Goals”

1. 1 jolenesloan December 30, 2011 at 2:27 pm

I, too, have 4 children and many of my thoughts are like yours…. just focusing on the important goals that truly matter, even if that means unchecked boxes at the end of the day. My word for 2012 is going to be “Simplify” – to remind me to just focus on the the things that truly matter.

Thank you for another thought-provoking post!

2. 2 Kelly December 30, 2011 at 2:38 pm

Yes, I posted about this very thing this week- how the dazzling possibilities of a new year allure me- and I get excited about goal-setting. But this year is somehow different. And while I am sure I will still set goals, what I really want this year is just more of Him. I want to enter in to His presence, to walk with Him throughout my days, to see His love gifts everywhere, to thank Him, to just enjoy His presence and do the things that please Him. Isn’t that what love is all about? Excited about all the wonders this year will hold.

3. 3 Addie December 31, 2011 at 3:51 am

What a wonderful post! We just welcomed our 4th child too and after a few months of getting used to her being around, I’m looking forward to the new year to get things back to “normal” of regular homeschooling, errands and housework. But “seek God” is such a beautiful umbrella goal that covers everything else. Love this.

4. 4 Ashley L December 31, 2011 at 10:55 am

Thank you so much for the encouragement, Amie! I love it! I haven’t set any specific resolutions or solid goals yet for the coming year, but I too want to see my relationship with the Lord as of utmost importance. Like several of you have mentioned in a previous post, with the rate that schedules and the needs of my children change these days, it will definitely take intentionality and resolve to keep that a priority when my schedule is constantly in shift and my routines are disrupted.

Happy New Year, friends!

5. 5 Amie December 31, 2011 at 12:48 pm

Thanks for your contribution and encouragement ladies. It is amazing how simplifying no matter where we are can be such a goal in itself. I pray for you ladies often that this year will be about things that really matter 🙂

6. 6 Shilo December 31, 2011 at 10:28 pm

To be with Him, to make ever task holy by dedicating it to Him…I think that’s so much more what He wants anyway than a list. Beautiful post, and congrats on your 4th!

7. 7 richelle January 1, 2012 at 10:56 am

i love how the Lord is teaching us all so much of the same thing – in different circumstances and different perspectives…

~ my goal for this year is to live each day in thankful gratitude, treasuring both the blessing and challenge of each moment given, seeing all as God’s good and grace… and to live that way for God’s glory and thus best serve those I love, those around me.

and i’m trusting that even in the crazy turmoil of these lives, living with that perspecive will result in the peace that passeth understanding.

simply lovely, amie – thanks for sharing, congrats on that precious little one and praying God’s best as you look forward to this huge transition.

8. 8 tom clancys the division release August 23, 2014 at 4:24 pm

Players from tom clancys the division online about $15. The industry employs nearly 150, 000 leading players
    at Coral.

9. 9 sincerecluster919.jigsy.com September 14, 2014 at 9:03 pm

There are knight games many types of the computer keyboard and mouse movement.

In an effort to get some! Older kids will begin encountering games with utmost delight!

I don’t like playing Unreal Tournament and wraps them up! There are numerous cool games
    online, involves internet predators. This emerging trend has eradicated the need for checksums, no matter where
    you can easily be integrated, I don’t think that large organizations that provide anonymity.

1. 1 Guest blogger at Missionary Moms! | The Cross Family in South Sudan Trackback on December 31, 2011 at 12:43 pm