Preparing for Advent

I hope you have all had a wonderful Thanksgiving! I love this time of year and how we move right from a season of thanksgiving into a time of reflection on the Lord’s coming to this earth to dwell with us. What better than a celebration of gratitude to prepare us for celebrating Jesus’ birth?!

In these few days before December arrives we’re spending a little bit of time getting ready for the advent seasons. Decorations will soon go up and we’ve just gotten our advent book and ornaments ready. More important than aesthetics and activity, of course, is setting aside time this season to truly anticipate the coming of Jesus. I thought I’d share just a few links that might get your mind’s and hearts thinking about this important season, if you haven’t started already.

This free book by Ann Voskamp is the one that we are using as a family this year to prepare our hearts throughout the Advent season. It is scripture focused and beautifully written. You can print the book, as well as the ornaments for each day. I made a very simple thanksgiving tree that I saw here and am using it for our advent ornaments as well.

I’ve mentioned this book  before while sharing about the significance of tradition. I absolutely love how Noel Piper encourages families to create traditions that place the focus on truly celebrating God in our festivities. Follow the link to download the book for free.

My dear friend, Vicky, an amazingly talented and  creative sister in Christ, made this simple modern version of the advent wreath last year. She has lots of other amazing holiday celebration/decoration ideas that might also inspire you.

Here was another great advent calendar idea from Jami last year on Missionary Moms. Also, in the comments a number of you left other great ideas and links!

Lastly, I just came across this advent wreath and thought it was a fun, lovely, and simple idea.

What are your plans to help your family focus on Christ this advent season? Do you have any ideas that you’d be able to share with us?

(Post by: Ashley)

6 Responses to “Preparing for Advent”

1. 1 Phyllis November 27, 2011 at 3:11 pm

We’re also going to be following along with Ann Voskamp’s book. I don’t actually read the devotionals to my little ones, though. We’re putting our Advent wreath together tonight. In my mind, it will look something like the last one you posted, except that we don’t have a bundt pan.

2. 2 Ashley L. November 27, 2011 at 4:49 pm

Yeah, I agree that the devotionals are a bit too advanced for little ones. My hope is to do them and then “translate” the main idea into something on my kids’ level. I look forward to seeing pictures on your blog of what you do, Phyllis! =)

3. 3 Laura from Pruning Princesses November 27, 2011 at 5:27 pm

Love Love Love these ideas. Thank you for sharing.

4. 4 Addie November 27, 2011 at 10:11 pm

Love these ideas! There are so many things I want to do this season, but have a hard time paring the ideas down to things I actually can do realistically. Last year I just did stuff as I felt like it, with no real plan, and this year I actually have a plan. I have to remember that establishing traditions has to take several years and remember “the reason for the season” is Jesus, not the fun activities and crafts. I love the advent wreath in the bundt cake with cranberries, by the way.

5. 5 Phyllis November 28, 2011 at 7:02 am

Our “wreath” turned out looking like an Advent kulich! 🙂

6. 6 Shilo November 28, 2011 at 7:17 pm

We do the Jesse Tree and have for a few years. This year we are adding an advent wreath. I love the excitement that builds as we get closer to Christ’s coming!