Tuesday Topics: Holiday Emotions

The holiday season is often a time full of so many different strong emotions, especially when living miles and seas and borders away from our family and the culture that has been the setting for most of our treasured holiday celebrations growing up . How are you feeling as we start coming up on Thanksgiving and Christmas? Are you feeling excited? Distracted and busy? Homesick?…  Are any of you spending your first holiday season on the field? How can we be praying for you during this season? If you would please take a moment, please pray for your sisters in Christ who comment here, as well as for the rest around the world who need an extra dose of the Lord’s peace and closeness during this joyous but sometimes painful time of year.

(If you would like to pose a “Tuesday Topic” question, please email it to formissionarymoms@gmail.com . Provide your blog address if you would like to be linked to, and specify also if you would like to remain anonymous. Thanks!)

6 Responses to “Tuesday Topics: Holiday Emotions”

1. 1 jodymccomas November 16, 2011 at 12:58 am

I’m finding it much more challenging to be close to family right now. I need prayer for loving them well as well as keeping healthy boundaries. I pray that no matter how far or near we all are to family that the Lord will grant us the grace to walk through it.

2. 2 Ashley L November 16, 2011 at 4:01 am

Praying for you, Jody, as you walk through this challenge! It is a good reminder that proximity does not determine whether or not we will have heartache in family relationships sometimes. I’m praying for you as you love your family and establish healthy boundaries! Thank you so much for sharing!

My prayer request would be for focus and time to truly celebrate. I often find it difficult to focus on the holidays that are so important to me and my family because they are not as important or even celebrated at all where we live. Even Christmas! I really want to help my family focus on Christ this Advent season, but I know how easily Christmas creeps up if I am not intentional.

3. 3 Shilo November 16, 2011 at 7:04 pm

I’m in the US and close to family this year. I find I need to be careful about the expectations I put on our time together, wanting it to be perfect since it happens only every few years that we are all together. Letting God write our Christmas story is what I really want to focus on this year.

4. 4 Phyllis November 18, 2011 at 7:29 am

You’re back! I’m so happy! 🙂

I’ll go catch up now….

5. 5 Ashley L November 18, 2011 at 8:12 am

Shilo, I am praying for you!!! I had to work through the same “this is my only chance, I better make it great” feelings when we were back for Christmas last winter. I am praying exactly as you wisely asked, that God will be the author of this time and that you will experience Him in whatever way He feels will be the very best.

Phyllis, you are so sweet! And I’m so happy you’re back here too! Can’t wait to hear the things that you have to share! Blessings, friend!

6. 6 Kelly November 20, 2011 at 6:55 am

This is our first holiday season on the field- and my brother and his family are serving in our same country- such a gift! But what I’m so sad about, is none of my other two siblings (stateside) will be with my mom and dad on thanksgiving- both going to significant others’ homes. So my parents are going out to eat on Thanksgiving day. They are celebrating early with my siblings, so it’s not tragic. But still. Hard wishing we were there celebrate with them. Glad you’ve got the blog up and running again! Love to you all this season!