Tuesday Topic: Fears and Doubts

When you were preparing to go overseas, did you have times of fear or doubt about what you were about to head into? How did God help you and what did you do with those feelings? Perhaps you have some encouragement for a mom who feels called and is getting ready to go but who is struggling with these things! Thanks!

(If you would like to pose a “Tuesday Topic” question, please email it to formissionarymoms@gmail.com . Provide your blog address if you would like to be linked to, and specify also if you would like to remain anonymous. Thanks!)

6 Responses to “Tuesday Topic: Fears and Doubts”

1. 1 Becka June 15, 2010 at 1:29 am

Several months before we left for Ecuador, I wrote a blog post about my fears.

2. 2 Andrea June 15, 2010 at 9:20 am

Sure. I think most do. Your life is dramatically changing. You are stepping into the unknown. I often reminded myself that God was already there ahead of me and that the “safest” place for me was where He called me. To be honest, there are still days where fear and doubt can overwhelm. Things can be chaotic, unfamilar, and threatening here in our country of service. Often the easiest conclusion to jump to seems to be to let fear and doubt rise up and question what in the world we think we are doing here. The enemy loves to have us in the place of discontent and questioning our calling. But then that still small voice of the Lord reminds us that promises of an easy, calm, familiar life is not why we are here. We are here simply because He called and He is able to make sense of it all. Don’t be afraid to walk through it all. He is there.

3. 3 Ashley L June 15, 2010 at 2:50 pm

I love what Andrea said and I look forward to hopping over to Becka’s post to read what she has shared there. I had a period of time while we were support raising before we moved overseas where I had a lot of doubts about whether or not I really thought God was calling us overseas. A lot of it had to do with the fact that we had just had our first baby and I had a lot of emotions about leaving our family and familiarity with a baby that I didn’t expect to have. I shared about what I was feeling with my husband, and we prayed and asked God to confirm in my heart what He had spoken before or to clearly speak to both of us otherwise. While I had those feelings though, we kept moving forward since God had clearly called us beforehand, and even though I had fears and doubts, God had not clearly called us in another direction. As we did that, in our circumstance He did many things to confirm our call! I know that God does use our feelings in how He calls us, but emotions also have a tendency to be a bit unreliable in certain circumstances and Satan certainly likes to use those sorts of emotions to discourage us. I think it is really normal to have fears and doubts, like what was said before, and they are probably helpful in processing things in some ways even. I don’t have any novel advice, but I would just pray and continue talking with your husband and godly people around you and perhaps with other missionaries that you know.

4. 4 Angela June 15, 2010 at 5:14 pm

I have not been called by God to go to a different country as a missionary, but I can totally relate to what Andrea wrote. We all face times of uncertainty and find ourselves fearful or doubting if we are where God has called us to be. Andrea was absoultely right when she said that Satan wants nothing more than to use those times of chaos to draw us away from where God has put us. We can’t see the big picture. We have to trust God that he has put us wherever we are for his purposes. He promises that he has great plans for our future and will not harm us (Jerm. 29:11)

5. 5 Shilo June 15, 2010 at 5:28 pm

I love what Jim Elliot said, “Wherever you are, be all there”. Living in today, not borrowing trouble from tomorrow, is immensely freeing. Not easy to discipline your mind to stay in the today, but worth the effort, eh? 🙂 Blessings to all who are stepping out to answer the call. I promise you, YOU WILL NEVER REGRET IT!!!!!!

6. 6 Cristal June 16, 2010 at 12:20 pm

These have been so good for me to read. Before we came I honestly had very very few doubts. I knew what God had spoken and felt so secure in that. But the last few weeks there have been some things that have been not major, but just enough to bring some doubting, and I have been choosing to think on them. But, the last few days I have been reminded of just who God is. He is the one who spoke the call, all he has asked me to do is walk the path that he has laid before me, and trust him. So that is what I am doing. I have also written my own Hebrews 11 type of journal. I have written down my past with God, and the journey’s we have had, and how he has always shown himself to be more than able to do all he has said he will do, and keep me and my loved ones in his care. It is so good to remember, just as he called the Israelite’s to do.