Tuesday Topic: What do you love about where God has you?

Just for fun, what are 3-5 things that you love about the place in which you are living and serving (whether it be in the US or overseas)? What things are life-giving to you or seem in some way to reflect the image of God?

(If you would like to pose a “Tuesday Topic” question, please email it to formissionarymoms@gmail.com . Provide your blog address if you would like to be linked to, and specify also if you would like to remain anonymous. Thanks!)

11 Responses to “Tuesday Topic: What do you love about where God has you?”

1. 1 Ashley L. June 7, 2010 at 11:39 am

I love that Russian people often have very close family relationships and live more closely together. I know it has its hardships, but it is a so amazing to see the generations helping and supporting one another. I also love how people show such generous hospitality. I also like how life is a little slower paced, or at least how people (and especially moms) aren’t expected to be doing a million things every day. It feels so much healthier! Lastly, I love that Russians cook using a lot of dill! Yum!

2. 2 Phyllis June 7, 2010 at 12:34 pm

What a question! I love everything about this part of the world! (Well, not quite everything. 🙂 ) Even if I weren’t saved, and I didn’t know that this is where God wants me to be, I think I would want to live here just because.

But 3-5 things?
    -Like Ashley said, I love how life is a little slower paced.
    -I love the friendliness and true openness. (Russians are known for scowling faces and such, but once you get beyond that, they’re so open! I’ve heard that Americans have their wall inside: a big smile on the face, but beyond that a wall. And then Russians are the opposite: their faces might look like brick walls, but after that there’s no barrier.)
    -I love the beautiful, rich, powerful language, even if I’ll never master it this side of heaven.
    -Public transportation that works!

3. 3 Cristal June 7, 2010 at 12:51 pm

3 things I love.

1. we live on a small island with no vehicles, only walking. Even the kids are saying how much healthier they feel.

2. we are a 4 minute walk to a gorgeous beach in South China Sea.

3. we work at a drug rehab school. I love that God has allowed us to love on a group of people that this society has thrown out, and to see them growing and changing in him!

4. 4 Summur Braley June 7, 2010 at 2:24 pm

Now this is a great one for us to reflect on the good gifts from God.
    1. during support raising I get to be around family and friends.
    2. Learning…..more patience, more pruning, more ways to be a servant to my hubbs and kids
    3. And being at my home church Calvary Chapel Modesto which I love love love. A lot of my friends on the field tel me they miss their home church, so I am trying to really soak it in while I can.

5. 5 aliciafox June 7, 2010 at 11:24 pm

This is really timely for me! I just finished journaling all the things I am thankful for about where I live. It keeps my perspective right when I’m lonely and longing to be somewhere else. (We recently moved from an island of 8,000 to a city of 50,000 – #2 and 3 reflect that change.)
    1. A relational vs. time oriented culture
    2. Access to real grocery stores
    3. Central air affordability in the sweltering tropical summers
    4. The turquoise of the ocean
    5. Seeing first hand how God’s world is so big and how He works in so many different ways. His ways are so much greater than mine!

6. 6 Gina June 8, 2010 at 12:07 am

Here are some that come to mind for me:

1. How gracious the local people can be, particularly when you attempt to speak the language with them!

2. Living in a city that is constantly changing and improving, yet is one of the most richly historical places in the country.

3. Older people – they are respected and care for, and they are always outside doing interesting exercises and hobbies for us to watch. 🙂

4. AMAZING food!

7. 7 richelle June 8, 2010 at 2:34 am

there’s so much that i love…

i love buying fresh fruit and veggies at the market (on most days, that is)

i love the slower pace of life and that we spend many evenings just hanging out or reading and being together

i love the people – nigerien and missionaries – in our community

i love that we hardly ever have to worry about picnics getting rained out

i love the french language

8. 8 Kara June 8, 2010 at 4:31 am

1. Walking and public transportation as a way of life. (Is this hypocritical, since we bought a car and I love that we can use it when necessary?)

2. School classes staying together with one teacher for the first through fourth grade. (My son just finished 1st grade, and we are so grateful!)

3. Multi-generational families (see Ashley’s comment) who despite the challenges, sacrificially care for each other.

4. Friends are totally devoted to each other, willing to sacrifice.

5. People don’t expect life to be easy, and are very adept at living within their meager means. For our family of five to live in a two-room apartment (meaning one-bedroom) is totally normal.

9. 9 Andrea June 8, 2010 at 7:54 pm

Things I love…
    – The amazing missionary fellowship that we have in our small city. There is no division by denomination, mission, home country, etc. We walk together in unity and are there for one another.

-The ability for Mozambicans to push on through life despite the hardships and suffering they often endure.

-Beautiful little Mozambican babies tied to their mommy’s or little sister’s backs, smiling out from under the capalana (wrap).

-That my children are blessed to experience life and grow up living multi-culturally.

-Internet access(most of the time)that enables us to stay in touch with our families, friends and home church.

-Slower pace in life where friends can drop by for coffee/tea at anytime without having to preplan a visit.

10. 10 Kylene Bak June 10, 2010 at 7:35 am

A great thing for me to think about today:
    -I love the danish summers not humid and muggy. It stays light outside til around midnight.
    -Although most moms go back to work when there kids are 8months old the system here is very family friendly.
    -5 weeks of vacation for most families.
    -You get money for your kids quarterly.
    -Glad we can walk,bike or take the very nice busses wherever we go.
    -That our daughter will grow up speaking danish from her dad and english from me.

11. 11 Addie June 11, 2010 at 3:57 pm

I had to think about this for a little bit to nail down specific things I love about where God has me right now. We are not overseas missionaries like so many of you beautiful ladies, but we are “on mission” here at home in WA. So God has me in a season, not a location, which I love. I love that my kids just said to each other, “I love you Caley, let’s be best friends!” And that I get to stay home with them. I love that God shows me himself in even the small things like sovereignty over my grocery shopping. I love how we have a supportive community through our church that loves us. And I love that it’s finally not raining here all the time. It’s supposed to be nice this weekend.