Pregnancy and Birth Overseas- Megan in Southeast Asia

Just after the birth once they got me to the delivery room

At about 5 that morning I woke up with labor pains. I stayed in bed until about 7am, dozing between contractions. Around 8am we called Ariana, our friend and a trained midwife, to come help.

We got to the admission room at about 10am, and my contractions were getting more serious. We waited in the admission room for someone to come check me to see if I was dilated enough to be admitted. 45 minutes after arriving a nurse wandered in and checked my blood pressure and the baby’s heartbeat then moved on to other patients as my contractions continued to get stronger.

Ariana told me to try going to the bathroom. We are in Asia, so no western toilets, only a squatty potty! Every time I squatted I had a massive contraction and started feeling serious pressure. I came out and told Ariana and our friend Arpana (who is also a doctor), “This kid is coming. The doctor needs to come soon!” Arpana asked the nurses when the doctor will come.
“In a while,” they said nonchalantly.
“I don’t have a while!” I said, “This kid is coming!”
Ariana and Arpana kept asking after the doctor and were continually put off.

At that point I had hit hard labor. I kept saying “I need to be checked. This kid is coming!” FINALLY the head nurse arrived to check me. “She’s nine centimeters! No time for a labor room, she needs to go to the delivery room!” and I was thinking “Yes, I know this.” In the midst of a contraction the head nurse said “Okay, get up, we need to walk to the delivery room.”

“It hurts! I can’t walk!” I say.

“No, no, you have to get up.”

Ariana helps get me up and I am literally hanging on her as we shuffle to the hallway. I’m thinking that maybe they will get me a wheelchair or SOMETHING but no, the nurses just say, “Keep walking!”
Another massive contraction hits and I hang on Ariana. “Keep walking!” I hear.

“I CAN’T. THE BABY IS COMING!”

At that moment my water breaks in the middle of the hallway. “Keep walking, keep walking! don’t push!”
“NO! THE BABY IS COMING RIGHT NOW!” I yell.

Ariana confirms that the baby’s head was already on it’s way out!

“Put her on the floor!” The nurse says

At this point I see Robert come running in. I’m holding myself up off the floor and he gets behind me. “Relax,I’ve got you,” he says.
In one push his head is out! There is no doctor or nurse, but Ariana catches his head. The nurse comes right behind, and the rest of his body is delivered… on the floor, in front of the nurses station.

“The floor” where Jude was born

“Megan, you have a son!” Ariana says. The nurses cut the cord and take off with our son to give him oxygen (he’s still a little blue). And literally about 90 seconds after I’ve given birth the nurse says, “Okay, get up, we have to get you to a delivery room.”Β  And now there is a wheelchair sitting nearby. But the nurse walks me right past it and I WALK to the delivery room.

Big brothers first look

Megan, WOW, what a story! Thank you so much for sharing! Does anyone have any questions for Megan?

7 Responses to “Pregnancy and Birth Overseas- Megan in Southeast Asia”

1. 1 Addie April 19, 2010 at 3:37 am

Wow what a story! Thank you for sharing!

2. 2 Kelly April 19, 2010 at 11:07 am

Wow. You’re my hero. I thought my babies came fast!

3. 3 Sarah W April 19, 2010 at 12:55 pm

Wow…..what a story!! πŸ™‚ I too was told to “walk” in the the delivery room at 9cm and thought the nurse was crazy! I didn’t have a long walk though and I didn’t deliver by the nurses station! πŸ™‚ Thanks for sharing your story with us! πŸ™‚

4. 4 Rena April 21, 2010 at 8:30 pm

I’m hearing a recurrent theme…”Walk to the delivery room” LOL! Recurrent, as in, this happened to our daughter recently here in south Brazil and also 20-30 yrs ago when I delivered 3 of our 5 children in Northeast Brazil. Why is it that they think women can walk when they’re seconds away from delivering??!! I wonder if this is true in most countries beyond the shores of the USA? I guess I’ll just keep laughing since it doesn’t make sense to me at all.:)

5. 5 Stephanie April 21, 2010 at 9:02 pm

What a story! I want to hear more “background” information…

Why were you in SE Asia? What are the customs related to labor & delivery in the area? Etc.

Congrats on the [speedy] delivery of your sweet baby boy!

6. 6 RebeccaC April 22, 2010 at 8:12 pm

Megan, you ARE the woman. Well done maintaining a Christlike attitude. Under the circumstances, I don’t think I would have been nearly so gracious…or did we get the abridged version? πŸ™‚

Congratulations and well done!!!

7. 7 Megan April 26, 2010 at 3:07 am

Stephanie:
    we’re in SE asia working with the church here. The customs are apparently make a lot of noise, which I was not doing which may have been why they didn’t take me seriously!

Rebecca:
    you definitely got an abridged version, however God really did give me the grace to get through it and just be excited about my sweet boy. We had talks with the hospital later hoping to see some changes, but nothing ever happened.