So, what’s the food like?

Snail casserole

This post is purely for “dessert,” if you will. I was thinking recently of that famous question that gets asked to all missionaries on home assignment. Is it, “What’s ministry like?” or perhaps, “What’s God been teaching you through your experiences there?” or “How many people have you seen coming to Christ recently?” No, though of course those are also on the top of the list, the one I’m thinking of is one that you know quite well… “So, what’s the food like?!” Although it doesn’t get quite to the heart of our reasons for being where we are, you’ll have to admit, it’s an interesting topic! If we were all to get together over coffee some day, I am pretty sure in the midst of all of our chat about kids and cross-cultural life, we’d exchange a few stories about the crazy things that we’ve eaten in the places that we serve.

So, without further ado, what’s the food like where you live? Please share your favorite and least favorite dishes and perhaps the strangest thing you’ve yet to encounter! If you are currently in the US, please share from past experiences overseas or the most adventurous thing you’ve tried state-side!

10 Responses to “So, what’s the food like?”

1. 1 Ashley L March 18, 2010 at 7:03 pm

Well, Russian food is actually not all that strange by American standards (at least in my opinion). So far the strangest thing I’ve eaten was in E. Asia when I had stir-fried sea snake, with the scales on and everything. Some friends were treating me to dinner, so I couldn’t turn it down. It tasted good, but I had a hard time getting over the thought. In Russia the strangest thing I’ve encountered is raw salted pig fat. I have yet to eat it (and hope never to have to), but it’s everywhere!

2. 2 Andrea Pavkov March 18, 2010 at 7:07 pm

The strangest so far is fried termites and caterpillars. Most of the food is pretty good; goat, pumpkin leaves, chicken, beans, rice. Some that I could leave behind is a stew made from all the left over parts of the pig(ears, snout,tail,etc.)called “Fejoada.”

3. 3 Gina March 18, 2010 at 11:27 pm

It seems to me that every country has its food that only is eaten by locals who have grown up eating it. In Singapore it was durian. Here it is thousand year old eggs and “stinky” tofu. Growing up with my dad’s family being Norwegian, it was lutefisk. Am I right? Do other countries have these local foods that baffle foreigners?

4. 4 Ana March 19, 2010 at 12:56 am

In this part of Brazil, people love to eat a lot of animal “insides”… cow stomach… goat bladder… you get the picture. I haven’t and most certainty will NOT eat this sort of things. So far the strangest thing I’ve ever had is turtle soup in Guatemala and I must clarify I only knew once I had finished half a bowl, and… I had chili-candy with fried crickets inside… but I didn’t eat them, just the candy. Phew!

Food is one of the areas where I’ve grown a lot haha, you cannot be picky in the missions field and so if cow stomach was the only thing available I guess I would HAVE TO eat it… right now I’m just thanking the Lord that is a time of plenty and that we are strong and healthy and can afford to pick and chose.

5. 5 Regina March 19, 2010 at 1:11 am

Our people eat a soup called Caldo. It is a broth that they serve with either chicken or turkey in it. Sometimes they give us beef if it’s available. They sometimes put carrots or potatos in it which are good. We have been served it with intestines and liver (yuck!) 🙂 but it is always served with fresh corn tortillas. yum yum

Our favorite typical food is tayuyos. They are corn tortillas stuffed with either black beans, cheese, or chicken. They are yummy!

6. 6 Becka March 19, 2010 at 1:39 am

I am in Ecuador and the most famous “weird” food is cuy. It is guinea pig roasted on a stick. It is served whole and looks exactly like a broiled RAT. The taste is good, but it is very difficult to pick it up and chew on it.
    My favorite food here is a soup that is made from green bananas. One of the things that has taken a while for me to get used to is that here in Loja, they do not eat raw vegetables. They think I am crazy for eating raw salads.

7. 7 Melinda March 19, 2010 at 5:37 am

The strangest thing I’ve eaten was coagulated duck blood soup. Oddly enough it wasn’t that bad. Tasted a little like salty tofu.

Chicken feet is another one. If you can get past biting off the nail and eating more skin than meat than it actually tastes pretty good.

I was fortunate enough to get out of eating dog. I went with a friend to a restaurant that specialized in cooking dog, but after ordering the waiter returned to tell us that they just ran out of dog. whew! 😛

8. 8 Erin March 19, 2010 at 1:59 pm

Great food in Honduras – coconut seafood stew, coconut bread, ceviche (YUM) and good ol’ beans and rice. Least favorite – intestine, cow tongue, rice and chicken feet.

9. 9 Alicia March 21, 2010 at 10:15 pm

Bahamians eat the exact same meal for every church function or social event. BBQ something (ribs, pork, chicken), peas and rice, mac and cheese, potato salad, coleslaw and then a fruit dessert of some kind. My favorite is the peas and rice. It’s a tomato base and they use pigeon peas.

A favorite thing for breakfast here is souse. They make chicken, beef, sheep tongue or pig foot. It’s extremely greasy. I do not like any of the varieties!

10. 10 bodkin.info May 18, 2015 at 6:20 pm

Wonderful blog! Do you have any recommendations for aspiring
    writers? I’m hoping to start my own website soon but I’m
    a little lost on everything. Would you recommend starting with a
    free platform like WordPress or go for a paid option? There are so many options out there that I’m completely
    overwhelmed .. Any suggestions? Bless you!