Pregnancy and Birth Overseas- An opportunity to share!

**Update: Click here to read stories from: Phyllis in Russia, Richelle in Quebec and Niger, Patty in Ghana, Kristin in South Africa, Megan in Southeast Asia, Vanessa in Dominican Republic, Beth in Indonesia, Debby in Poland (during the communist era)

Hello Friends!

In efforts to get ready for some hopefully interesting topics in the upcoming months, I’ve been asking for a lot of your input recently! I hope you’re enjoying these opportunities to participate more in the community here. Your experiences, wisdom, and opinions are so valuable, so the more we get to hear from you, the better!

As you probably know, much of what I write about comes from what I as an average mom on the international mission field am experiencing in daily life, and thus hopefully things that you might relate to at some point. One of this year’s topics for me is pregnancy and babies! Since several of you have expressed interest in discussing this topic, and I know many of you are in the same boat of either being pregnant or planning to be at some point in the future, I thought we’d get some stuff up here on the blog about pregnancy and birth overseas. That’s where I need your help, moms! I’ve only experienced pregnancy in America and Russia, and so far my only birth experiences have been in the US (though this time around we’re staying in Russia), so I would love it if you would share your experiences to round things out!

So now for the details. Would you please email me at formissionarymoms@gmail.com to share either your pregnancy or birth experience (or both) overseas? I’m collecting stories until March 15th to give you plenty of time, especially if you have just helped with the “schooling options” survey but might want to participate in this opportunity too. Please keep your stories to 400 words or less (the length of this post or less). I plan to post each story that I receive in one way or another.

Please of course share some interesting aspects of your experience cross-culturally and how God led you during this time, but I would also ask everyone to please be cautious about  stories that might scare other moms who are planning to be pregnant or give birth overseas. You don’t have to pretend like everything was perfect, of course, but just be sensitive and envision yourself telling your story to a mom who is pregnant and possibly planning to give birth in a foreign setting. Bonus points to anyone who send in a picture with their story! Thank you!

(Post by: Ashley)

10 Responses to “Pregnancy and Birth Overseas- An opportunity to share!”

1. 1 Regina February 6, 2010 at 4:46 pm

I love this idea and look forward to reading the stories. I will return to the field in late March and our baby is due in early June (our first). I will be delivering in Guatemala City. Soo glad I found your blog!!

2. 2 Ashley L February 7, 2010 at 12:13 pm

Hi Regina! Nice to meet you! I am happy you like the idea. Congrats on your baby! How exciting!

3. 3 Shilo February 7, 2010 at 9:14 pm

Hi Ashley,
    My first was overseas and not a good experience…but my boy was healthy and that was what mattered the most (c-section)! My second was in the states and was wonderful (vbac). If we have another one we are very seriously considering returning to the US again since VBAC’s are very uncommon here, but I am trying to have an open heart to what the Lord would have for us.
    I certainly think it would be easier to give birth overseas if you have been through one birth already and know what to expect and if you have a Dr. that understands a little bit about other cultures! 🙂
    The one thing I will say for sure is that having a baby born in your host country ENDEARS you to the people so much. They are so proud that your baby is one of them! It’s just beautiful! I loved that part of it!
    Just a few random thoughts! Hugs,
    Shilo

4. 4 Andrea Pavkov March 25, 2010 at 9:29 am

Just a quick response. I had my first son (in 1997)overseas. We lived in Mozambique, Africa but I delivered him at a private hospital in Marondera, Zimbabwe. It was a fantastic experience. It was low key and felt very natural. There was adequate medical care available; medicine, incubator, surgery suite for C-section if needed. I was induced and had him naturally. A few things that stood out to me were; I was encouraged to eat a good size meal so I would have energy for the delivery, I had tea with milk and sugar given to me and told to drink it immediately after delivery and it helped immensely to give me an energy boost after two hours of pushing, I was free to walk around and labor as I felt comfortable since I was not attached to a million machines, my doctor did not come until the Lord woke him up about 3 hours before I delivered, and the first thing the doctor did when he was born was pray over him and commit him to the Lord. Like I said it was a fantastic experience. It was a lonely one as well since it was literally just my husband and I with no family to witness or visit us but we definitely bonded through it all. Our second son was born in the US. I returned to the States when I was 6 months pregnant. It was also a good birth; again induced and natural. I would say it was much more clinical though because of all the medical equipment and rules. However, the positive was that my sister was able to be at the birth and we had family and friends that visited. I believe each woman must be comfortable with their birth choice. Do not believe you have to do one set thing because each person and each birth experience is unique. Most of all trust God to lead you and provide all that you need. In each of our birth experiences he did just that perfectly!

5. 5 Stephanie April 21, 2010 at 9:04 pm

I am totally fascinated by this series! Thank you for offering it.

Do you think you could link all of the stories in this main post as you add them? It would be great to have one comprehensive spot to come back to and/or to direct people to. Thanks in advance for your consideration!

6. 6 children\47s clothing April 17, 2013 at 10:40 am

This will get rid of the built up odours and leave
    everything clean and smelling fresh. Here are 10 easy steps you can
    take to lower your exposure to tree pollen and other spring
    allergens, and keep allergy symptoms under control. The first step in the process of maintaining
    a mosquito-free bedroom is to secure the structure of the house.

7. 7 canadian business web hosting April 22, 2013 at 9:15 am

Add garlic, ginger, red bell pepper, and pepper flakes to the
    pan and cook together a couple of minutes, then add peanut butter and melt it.
    You can put a dehumidifier to keep the moisture out of the air so it will not
    affect your things and your home. Clean your gloves with lukewarm
    water and squeeze out the excess water.

8. 8 mobile May 31, 2013 at 5:34 am

If you want to grow your knowledge only keep visiting this
    web page and be updated with the most up-to-date news posted here.

9. 9 resultat bep June 3, 2013 at 9:25 pm

Asking questions are truly fastidious thing if you
    are not understanding anything completely, but this post provides pleasant understanding even.

1. 1 A Couple Quick Things « Missionary Moms Trackback on March 13, 2010 at 6:13 am