My Mother’s Eyes

flower

Several years ago, not long after we moved back to the US, my parents lived with us for a few weeks. The children were in elementary, middle and high school – and life was pretty crazy.

One dinnertime, after rushing around getting dinner for 8 on the table and everyone sitting down at the same moment (no small feat!) …  one of my children (we’ll call him Eyore, if that tells you anything …) looked at the meal and gave a little disappointed sigh.

I looked up and met my mother’s eye. She was looking at me, and in her eyes I saw that she knew what it had cost me to get that dinner on the table and to hear that little sigh.  She saw me.

I want you to know, you dear, hard-working, devoted mothers – that God sees you. He sees what it costs you to be where you are, to serve the way you do. He sees your work and your love and all your little secret sorrows and disappointments that no one else does. Look at Him, and see Him looking back at you, with that look of love and understanding that I saw in my mother’s eyes.

You are doing so well!

-Carolyn

9 Responses to “My Mother’s Eyes”

1. 1 montyandmarie November 15, 2009 at 9:05 pm

What a great encouragement, thank you Carolyn. My girls are too young to give a response like that, but they have their own way of showing disappointment as toddlers do. I will remember this word of encouragement next time it happens [probably tonight at dinner]!
    Kim

2. 2 susanmarie November 15, 2009 at 9:27 pm

Oh what a sweet post!! Thank you! =)

3. 3 Karen November 16, 2009 at 4:57 am

Wow—I need to be pleased with God seeing me, instead of wishing that a person would. Thank you for such a lovely post.

4. 4 Ana November 16, 2009 at 5:44 am

Thank you so much for this post, I started reading as I was going over a mental list of things I have to do tomorrow, it is 2:00 am already and work seems to pile up instead of diminishing, this is very encouraging, I NEEDED TO HEAR THESE WORDS.

Blessings and a big big HUG!

5. 5 Shilo November 16, 2009 at 3:52 pm

Very touching. It seems sometimes the thing we need most as moms is just a little encouragement to keep doing the things we know to do. Thank you for giving that! You are a blessing!

6. 6 Addie November 16, 2009 at 4:55 pm

Thank you for this encouragement!

7. 7 Colleen Forry November 16, 2009 at 11:50 pm

Thanks for the encouragement. It was a word in season…truly. God bless you and your ministry.

8. 8 Sarah November 17, 2009 at 3:49 am

I loved this. Thank you!

9. 9 Ashley L. November 17, 2009 at 6:56 am

So, so encouraging. Thank you, Carolyn. I love your way of conveying just how personal and loving our God is. Praise Him for being all-knowing, even down to the most intricate and little-known feelings that we have. This encourages me so much today.