Visa Trips- One JOY of Missionary Life

We’re off to Finland bright and early tomorrow morning. I haven’t been 100% looking forward to this trip simply because we HAVE to go and we are being forced by visa laws to be away from home.  It’s part of the job. Recently though, God showed me what a ridiculous attitude I’ve had! “Oh poor me. I HAVE to go to Finland!” Who in their right mind complains about something like that? Honestly, what a whiny attitude for me to complain about such an amazing blessing.  I am thankful that God has been gracious enough to let me see the folly of my thinking before the trip so I can enjoy a better perspective while there. Thank you God! Now instead of seeing it as an un-pleasantry of missionary life, I am choosing to view this as one of God’s great blessing for many missionaries. It is hard to get past the inconvenience of time away, the hassle of travel, and the financial cost of these trips and to view them as a gift, but the reality is that we have a 100% guilt free opportunity to relish the beauty of another culture and land! We don’t have to spend our vacation fund, we don’t have to feel bad about taking time away from our usual work (though we’ll have other work to do for sure), and we’ll have the opportunity to enjoy some “forced” solitude as we wait. Thank you God for letting us go to Finland!

Are visa trips a regular part of your life now or have you taken such trips in the past? How has God blessed you on these trips?  What places have you had the chance to visit? Do you have any other examples of recent trials that were actually blessings in disguise?

(Post by: Ashley)

8 Responses to “Visa Trips- One JOY of Missionary Life”

1. 1 Junglewife October 27, 2009 at 11:26 pm

We don’t usually have to take visa trips in our current situation. We did have to take one, though – a trip across the border to PNG. It really was not the most pleasant situation, unfortunately. I’m sure that it would have been better had I not had a 4-month-old and a 2-year-old! As it was, I was expecting it to be terrible, and it wasn’t quite that bad, but close! I’d love to *have* to take visa trips to Singapore every once in a while, but i don’t think that’s going to happen!

2. 2 Shilo October 28, 2009 at 12:09 am

We never have had to leave the country…but we did have to travel to the capital over some pretty treacherous roads. Thankfully, we made it kind of a date and got a sitter since it was just a few days. 🙂

3. 3 Ana October 28, 2009 at 2:30 am

I’ll be praying that you’d fun! hehe My husband and I took several Visa trips while we were in Costa Rica some of them were NOT pleasant at all and some other were a real blessing, we were able to Minister and help while on a Visa Run. I understand the way you feel, I also worried about finances and thought what would happen is one day we didn’t have the finances but at the end I enjoyed them. Hope you do too 🙂

4. 4 Kara October 28, 2009 at 1:21 pm

we have enjoyed Italy, Finland and Mongolia… well, saying we enjoyed Mongolia is a stretch. If we had known we would be there for three weeks instead of the anticipated three days, that would have been better. If we hadn’t been there in -30 weather with a one-year-old. If our one-year-old hadn’t gotten a GI virus and spent the week losing fluids. And if I hadn’t been pregnant and nauseous in a country where even the money smells like mutton… I’m impressed with your attitude. These adventures really are a benefit our stuck-between-two-oceans friends would love to have!

5. 5 Jami Gustafson October 29, 2009 at 12:35 am

The money in Mongolia DOES smell like mutton, Kara!

We got to Go to Thailand three years ago. When we left Siberia, it was -30 degrees and when we got to Bangkok, it was over 90 degrees!!

6. 6 Phyllis November 4, 2009 at 6:42 am

I love visa trips! We used to have to go every year or six months. Now it’s just every other year, and I’m itching to go to Poland! 🙂 In the past we’ve enjoyed Estonia, Latvia, and Turkey. We say that they’re forced vacations, and I enjoy the challenge of doing them as cheaply as possible.

7. 7 Karen November 4, 2009 at 7:11 am

Anyone ever had to deal with husbands traveling while the family is in the foreign mission land…and them traveling to other countries? I find myself going through all the possibilities of what if, and trying to prepare for them…just paper work wise. Is there a spot on the blog where we could post these questions? I’d love to have some advice:)!
    Also, what about doctors in foreign countries…advice on this too–haha–I am full of questions! Love this site!

8. 8 Travel Agency December 2, 2013 at 6:54 pm

Hmm it looks like your website ate my first comment (it was extremely long)
    so I guess I’ll just sum it up what I submitted and say, I’m thoroughly enjoying your blog.

I too am an aspiring blog blogger but I’m still new to the whole thing.
    Do you have any suggestions for rookie blog writers?
    I’d really appreciate it.