Pumpkin Spice Lattes for Missionary Moms

spice latte

This post is devoted to all of those Starbucks holiday drink lovers out there who are sacrificing Pumpkin Spice Lattes for the glory of God. Whether this sacrifice be due to lack of availability in a foreign land, or simply the fact that it costs about as much for one season of lattes as it does to put a kid trough college, God is certainly pleased with your willing sacrifice. But He is also loving and merciful and thanks to the internet and genious people who are willing to share their recipes, He has decided to bless us with the ability to bring this delicious beverage into our very own homes for a fraction of the cost.

I was searching online today to find out a good recipe for vanilla coffee syrup and I found a number of awesome pumpkin spice lattes recipes as well! I am enjoying my first of many such lattes this season as I write this post. It is SO good! Here’s the recipe in my cup:

1 C boiling water

1 C sugar

2 Tbsp. Pumpkin Pie Spices (there are easy recipes online that tell the proportions of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves if you don’t have a ready made mix)

1 tsp. vanilla extract

-The above ingredients are for the syrup. Put the spices into a disposable tea filter if you have one, or into a coffee filter and tie it shut at the top. Mix the boiling water and sugar until dissolved and steep spice packet in syrup for about 5 minutes, stirring often to infuse the syrup with the spices.  Lastly, mix in the vanilla. Store the extra syrup in the fridge after you make your latte.

-Next, heat up about 1/2  cup of milk (the creamier the better in my opinion) and mix with about 1/3 cup strong coffee (more or less to taste). Obviously espresso would be ideal, but assuming that most of us don’t likely have an espresso machine, strong coffee will have to do.  Mix in about 2 tablespoons of your syrup and adjust from there if you’d like it sweeter. Top with whipped cream and sprinkle with cinnamon and nutmeg if you really want to go gourmet. Oh, and if you happened to have real pumpkin puree, toss a tablespoon of that it and it would be wonderful!

The above recipe is my own adaptation of the recipe that I found here. I simplified the process slightly and made it a bit more missionary friendly by removing the espresso element, but the ingredients are pretty much the same. Like I said, I tested out my method before posting it, so I promise you that it works!

Do you love holiday beverages too? Which one is your favorite? Have you been longing for a pumpkin spice latte and slice of pumpkin bread as much I have? It is my goal this season to experiment with a number of Starbucks-ish recipes, so I’ll be sure to share the successful ones. My longevity on the field will be sealed forever if I can just perfect the at-home eggnog latte… without the raw eggs…. big hitch, but we’ll see.

19 Responses to “Pumpkin Spice Lattes for Missionary Moms”

1. 1 Ellie October 19, 2009 at 11:41 am

Sounds good.

My mom would make eggnog at home. I haven’t, but Abraham Piper put a recipe on his blog last year. Look here:

Then someone wrote in with a link to instructions on how to pasteurize eggs, so yes, your eggnog can have eggs in them:

2. 2 Kelly October 19, 2009 at 1:16 pm

It isn’t nearly as extravagant or delicious- but I’ve just been adding pumpkin pie spice to my coffee grounds- easy as can be- and quite yummy!

3. 3 Shilo October 19, 2009 at 2:38 pm

Yum! You know I love me a good latte! 🙂 Can’t wait to try your syrup recipe. I tried one last year that was a flop so glad to have yours.

4. 4 Ashley October 19, 2009 at 6:09 pm

Ellie, THANK YOU for the links! Pasteurizing eggs sounded pretty involved, but I checked out the link and it looks way easier than I’d expected! Now I’ll just have to devise an exercise plan to go along with my new found eggnog latte freedom. Kelly, I love the idea of adding the spices directly to the coffee itself. I’ll have to try it. And Shilo, hope you like it!

5. 5 Addie October 20, 2009 at 12:32 am

Thanks Ashley! I hope to try it soon, although for now a good substitute is the pumpkin pie spice creamer from International Delight. I love the idea of adding spices to the coffee grounds Kelly!

6. 6 Ana October 20, 2009 at 5:43 am

Sounds really yummy, last November I spent lots of time in the kitchen making iced-tea with pumpkin spice and milk for everyone at the Campus House… it is really delicious, thanks for the recipe Ashley!

7. 7 Jamie Jo in Mexico October 22, 2009 at 6:53 pm

Thanks for this recipe. I’ve really been enjoying your website. I hope it’s okay, but I copied your post on an international home school board just taking out the reference to God so that missionaries working in closed countries can read it without risk. I did put the link to your blog, so maybe you’ll get some new readers!

Feel free to list my blog on your blog roll, too. Thanks!

8. 8 Kylene Bak October 22, 2009 at 7:43 pm

I am excited about making this latte. I love anything pumpkin. I actually have pumpkin puree in my freezer at all time in case i have the urge for pumpkin bread. Have not made any yet but perhaps this weekend. Thanks for inspiring me now i can add a pumpkin spice latte to the mix.

9. 9 Kylene Bak October 22, 2009 at 8:44 pm

Do you think you could substitute sweetner for the sugar if you want a pumpkin spice sugar free latte

10. 10 Kara October 23, 2009 at 10:24 am

We’ve revolutionized our coffee drinking this year by learning how to easily make frothy milk. We microwave milk in a small french press (take off the metal press of course) then pump the press up and down to make it frothy. Maybe I’ve been away from real lattes too long, but it seems just like steamed milk!

11. 11 Richelle October 24, 2009 at 5:03 am

can’t wait to try the latte… we’ve been making pumpkin smoothies at our house lately!

one of my favorite “seasonal” drinks that we don’t get in Niger is apple cider. as a substitute, I fill our crock pot about half way with apple juice and then add pureed apples/apple sauce until the crock pot is about 3/4’s full, cinnamon and nutmeg (or whatever else you like in your mulled cider) and let it “crock” throughout the day. It makes a lovely treat at Thanksgiving and Christmas… or whenever I’m missing my favorite time of year back in the States. =D

12. 12 Dani Joy November 5, 2009 at 11:02 pm

Oh this sounds so great! I can´t wait to try it!

I make egg nog from scratch too. Can´t make it a holiday without it. LOL.

13. 13 Sarah W November 10, 2009 at 6:53 pm

Thank you thank you for posting this!!! I am loving your website and it’s blessing me alot! Just wanted you to know that! 🙂 Hugs!!! Sarah

14. 14 moweezle November 10, 2009 at 7:04 pm

Oh my goodness, this is such a find!!! I’ve been blasted with posts and facebook updates about all the holiday drinks, thats its been making me homesick beyond belief. I will have to try this as the Pumpkin Spice is my absolute favorite!!!

Serving in the Middle East,

Maureen

15. 15 Kauren Ndede October 8, 2011 at 9:37 pm

I’m not really big on Pumpkin since growing up we always had sweet potato pie and sweet potato casseroles during the holidays. But now that I’m older and have my own children, I’ve been venturing into the pumpkin realm a little more. I just tried the Pumpkin Spice Latte from Starbucks and I really liked it. Who knows…maybe I’ll be making my own pumpkin recipes this fall. :0 )

16. 17 Green Coffee May 2, 2013 at 11:42 am

you are truly a just right webmaster. The site loading pace is amazing.
    It seems that you are doing any distinctive trick.
    Also, The contents are masterpiece. you have done a excellent task in this topic!

1. 1 More Almost-Starbucks Holiday Cheer « Missionary Moms Trackback on December 19, 2009 at 1:32 pm
  2. 2 Holiday “Starbucks” Everywhere « Missionary Moms Trackback on November 19, 2010 at 10:44 am