McMissionary

golden arches

There comes a time in the life of many missionaries when they reach a new point of missionary, ummmmm….. maturity. This milestone is commonly referred to as the “McDonald’s craving.” Having grown up in America, McDonalds was likely appreciated for its convenience, if at all, though rarely heralded for its gourmet cuisine. If you are like me, you were happy to go without a Big Mac for years on end, not thinking a thing about it. Then it happens. You’ve been on the field for a certain amount of time, suddenly you see a flash of the golden arches and you are quickly overtaken by a wave of craving. Perhaps you saw an actual McDonald’s “restaurant” on your way to church, and as the pastor is preaching a passionate sermon on how to love the lost, all you can think about is how good it would taste to bite into a big juicy burger. You’re a missionary, but your thoughts have wandered far from eternal things and are fixed firmly on your insatiable appetite for low-grade ground beef, artificial plastic-like cheese, nutrient-free wheat buns, and condiments galore. All missionaries reach this momentous milestone at different paces. Please, don’t feel bad about yourself if you are slower at reaching this milestone than your missionary peers. This too will come with time.

Ok, so can you relate with me on this one?! I had the BIGGEST McDonalds craving today! Thankfully I was “lovin’ it” as I sank my teeth into a nice “McFresh Cheeseburger” after church. Do they have those where you are? Basically a double cheeseburger but they added cucumbers. Wasn’t sure if it was just a Russia thing. (And yes, that church “example” wasn’t too far from the truth.)

12 Responses to “McMissionary”

1. 1 @ngie September 13, 2009 at 6:23 pm

Funny. They pulled McDonald’s out of Bolivia less than a year after we arrived. We still do have B.K. though. That is nice every once in a while.

2. 2 Sarah W September 13, 2009 at 8:10 pm

We don’t have McDonald’s in Botswana and I honestly don’t miss it at all, but I had to chuckle at this post because just a few days ago I told someone…..”Man, I could really go for a McDonald’s Cheeseburger and fries right about now!” I don’t know….I guess it’s just a comfort thing…..while sometimes I don’t miss the hustle and bustle of the states, I do still miss her food! 🙂 Thanks for making me smile!

3. 3 susanmarie September 13, 2009 at 9:08 pm

I relate. =) I NEVER EVER ate at McDonalds in the states. Then we moved to Germany and (helped along by pregnancy cravings) I became a fan. There is one a few towns away and it’s such a treat now. =) Too funny!

4. 4 Sherri September 14, 2009 at 3:36 am

Okay, I’ll admit it with a sheepish look on my face. Been on the field just a year and a half and today through church it was “Burger King” and has been in my thoughts for the last couple of days. I think it is because we live so far from everything that once in a while we feel like we are crawling out of our skin to get out of town! But yes, after church, we drove the 1/2 hour to get Burgers! It’s been a long time since we’ve eaten there, but it was sooooo goooooodddd!

5. 5 montyandmarie September 14, 2009 at 4:50 am

I had a short stint of being an overseas missionary a few years ago and prior to that studied abroad and “backpacked” through Europe making sure to get a McFlurry in every city. I do think that McDonalds genuinely tastes better overseas. I don’t think it’s an illusion. Am I delusional?

6. 6 Jami Gustafson September 14, 2009 at 11:14 am

Oh man, we’re FAR away from a McDonalds, but what I wouldn’t do for some chicken Mcnuggets!!!

7. 7 Ashley L September 14, 2009 at 12:19 pm

My most sincere apologies to those of you who don’t have easy McDonald’s access. It was heartless of me for sure to post a picture of those glimmering arches. Forgive me! =)

8. 8 Gina September 14, 2009 at 12:57 pm

That’s very funny. We’re spoiled – we have a McDonald’s on every other street here. Maybe that’s why it’s still pretty low on the totem pole for me. But I’ve been in other less developed cities looking desperately for one.

In 1990 I was in Moscow soon after the first store opened. I was with a group of kids from my high school, and we waited 45 minutes in a line that went out the door and down two city blocks. It was so worth it! We weren’t used to the local food, which back then was definitely less than appealing.

9. 9 Amy September 14, 2009 at 8:35 pm

Your post made me smile. I can remember how great McDonalds tasted while living in Lima, Peru.

10. 10 Debra September 15, 2009 at 2:32 pm

I live in Guinea, West Africa…. we don’t have ANY fast food! No McDonald’s, no Subway, no nothing! The only thing we have are a couple little Lebanese windows you can get something fast… but not familiar… and even these are an hour taxi drive away from where I live! I have been sorely missing fast food. Especially this last week while my two sons and I had malaria along with a few other things… My poor husband was taking care of all of us on his own… All I wanted was fast food… I would lay there going in and out of wakefulness dreaming of hamburgers and french fries and yummy sandwiches! Thanks for the post! Now I don’t feel so silly!

11. 11 Junglewife September 16, 2009 at 12:01 am

We have NOTHING here! An hour flight and a half hour drive in the costal city we have KFC. But that is too far away to be any good when a craving hits! So, when I get the craving, I just have to push it back down. My McDonalds or BK craving can wait until we get to Bali or Jakarta or Singapore 🙂

1. 1 A sneak peek into the mind of a missionary « The Latvalas in Russia Trackback on September 14, 2009 at 12:24 pm