The Land of Plenty!

waffles

Just for fun, this is my first instance of reverse culture shock upon returning to the US… There are 34 varieties of frozen waffles in the freezer section of our local grocery store!!! Who knew there was a necessity for such variety in toaster breakfasts! Yum!

What are some of the things that have surprised you most as you have returned on your furloughs?

7 Responses to “The Land of Plenty!”

1. 1 Bethany May 4, 2009 at 6:24 am

When my husband and I were in Nashville last summer, our first trip to the grocery store just about gave us heart attacks. We stood and argued in the canned soup isle for at least 15 minutes. The options were overwhelming. We went in for plain tomato soup, but couldn’t figure out the differences between all the soups we found…did you know there is a coup with gold fish crackers in it? And the can even sparkles!!! It took us 2 hours to do our shopping. Each isle presented a whole new set of problems, the chip isle, cereal isle and bread section included. It made me appreciate the fact that I only have one choice here in Malawi.

Glad you made it home! I am thankful that God blessed your travels so much. I myself am getting pretty anxious about our trip. Prayer, prayer, prayer, right?

2. 2 Gina Marie May 4, 2009 at 7:56 am

Every time we go back I am floored by something. Once it was the toothpaste aisle – I was frozen for 5 minutes. I was used to looking at a toothpaste aisle and thinking, “Oh look, Colgate, there’s a brand I recognize.” Another time I was overwhelmed in the bread aisle. Shampoo has tripped me up too.

3. 3 RebeccaC May 6, 2009 at 1:57 am

LOL. We go through that every six months. To be honest, even the kids like our re-entry less and less each time.

The one thing that totally blew me away last furlough was when I walked up to a group of kids who were skateboarding in front of Grandma’s house and they totally ignored me. It was like I was the invisible mom walking past. It felt really weird. Here, the toughest and roughest characters will stop what they’re doing and at least say, “Buenas tardes.” Usually they’ll shake your hand.

On a lighter note, we practically camped out on the cereal aisle trying to decide which variety to buy as a “special treat”. Our choices here are Cornflakes and some sort of stale, puffed wheat thing which tastes a lot like sweetened cardboard. ;^)

4. 4 Julie May 6, 2009 at 11:24 pm

I’m NOT looking forward to that overwhelmed feeling at the grocery store in a few weeks. Sometimes it’s really nice NOT to have choices.

5. 5 Jackie Sue May 7, 2009 at 6:33 pm

We’re back right now for maternity leave and there are so many ‘convenience foods’ i call them. Like recipes that say “use a 9″ prepared crust” – well stateside I can go buy them but in the field I am making them first. I actually like the taste of mine better.

But like all of the mentioned comments above, we are overwhelmed at the choices!!!! It can be so mind-blowing!

My daughter did crafts in a class we had her in and it was shell pasta glued to paper and I thought… “in the field” i would wash the glue off these and use them for our family or cook them up for a neighbor. Just so ddifferent!

*HUGS*
    Jackie, 38 weeks preggo!

6. 6 Angela May 8, 2009 at 5:55 pm

Reverse culture shock while checking out at target: first some confusion about what I was supposed to do with my stuff – take it out of the basket and put it on the conveyor belt myself? or leave it in the basket on the conveyor for the cashier to take out? (how best not to incur the wrath of the lady at the register?) Then: rummaging for way too long through my coin purse in the check out line so I could pay with exact change before realizing that wasn’t necessary. And I’m pretty sure there were at least few audible “oy!”s in there, too. I

7. 7 Melinda May 20, 2009 at 3:53 am

Hi Ash!

Since having my son I have been on a non-dairy diet (he just gets super fussy every time I nurse him after drinking milk). Which has been SUPER hard–because I love icecream so much. But I had no idea that lactose-free milk existed until I returned to the states. Now that I’m stateside for the summer I have been eating cereal and milk for breakfast nearly everyday. AND not only that but there is SO many options and varieties of formulas that are for “sensitive” babies. I think I stood in the baby aisle at the grocery store for 20 minutes just trying to figure out the small differences between each one.