Moving+Tiredness+Foreign Language=Fun

Well, soon enough I will be back with an actual post. This experience of figuring out how to move everything across the country on short notice while trying to prepare for furlough and say all of our goodbyes has provided some great material for future posts! Thank you to those of you who have prayed for us. The whole experience has gone quite well considering all that has needed to be done. God really has been our strength!

I don’t have time for a usual post, but I had to share with you perhaps my best language blooper of the year.

The other day I went to one of the big supermarkets to ask for boxes. I went up to one of the worker ladies to explain what I needed, which really was a pretty simple request, yet she was absolutely confused. I meant simply to ask her for boxes for moving, but in my tired state of mind I inserted the word “bed” every time I meant to say “box.” The conversation went something like this:

Me: Hello, I was wondering if you gave away free beds for moving?

Lady: I’m sorry, what do you want again?

Me: Beds, you know, for moving. We’re moving across Russia and we need some large beds for storing our things.

Lady: (Seeing that I have my son with me) Do you mean baby beds? For travel?

Me: No! BEDS, like those ones over there (pointing to the cardboard boxes under a display of lawn chairs.)

Lady: (looking exceptionally confused, thinking I meant lawn chairs) Where are you from?

Me: The U.S.

Lady: (Trying to be helpful) Well, here in Russia we usually move our things in large bags.

Me: Well, what do you do if the things are fragile?

Lady: Put them in suitcases, or boxes.

Me: (Finally realizing I had been saying bed the whole time instead of box) OH!! That’s what I meant to say! Was I saying “beds” this whole time? I meant “boxes!”

Lady: (Laughing, but very politely) Yes, and I was so confused because I had never heard of moving beds. Sorry, but no, we do not have boxes.

Ok, now I am off to do some more cleaning of our apartment and packing of our bags! We get on a plane to Seattle in a couple of days and once we are adjusted to life there, I’ll start posting more regularly. Take care!

6 Responses to “Moving+Tiredness+Foreign Language=Fun”

1. 1 Kim April 24, 2009 at 6:08 pm

HILARIOUS!!!!! Oh my goodness….I’m laughing my face off!

2. 2 Shilo April 24, 2009 at 10:46 pm

Cute! We’ve all been there!

3. 3 Pattie Eager April 26, 2009 at 4:44 am

Hi there. You had left me a note on our blog about the children and culture pictures but I only saw it today. (I need to check it more often.) Enjoyed seeing the pics that people submitted and really enjoy your blog. What a great idea! Will be praying for you as you leave any day now. Hope your time in the states is refreshing. Pattie

4. 4 Jami April 27, 2009 at 8:17 pm

I’ve been there! Glad you can laugh about it. We’re praying for you! I can’t imagine all that your family has been going through these few weeks!!

5. 5 Julie May 3, 2009 at 6:49 pm

Have I told you that I’m moving out of my home and going on furlough too in 10 days. It’s craziness, but God gives strength where there is none!

6. 6 RebeccaC May 6, 2009 at 2:03 am

HA!!! I’ll bet that lady went home and her whole family had a good chuckle!!! Glad that I’m not the only one who has moments like that!!!