Sweet Confused Multi-Lingual Children

happy

One of my absolute favortie things about getting to serve overseas is the fact that my kids are getting the opportunity to learn a second language! It is so adorable to hear Russian words and phrases coming out of their little mouths. For today’s post and question, I thought we could share some of those cute stories!

Here are mine:

1)My daughter (3 and a half) loves the old cartoon version of “The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe,” except that the word “wardrobe” is a bit strange for her since we never use it. We do however use the Russian word for wardrobe (“shkoff”) all the time because we have several “shkoffs” in our home and it is just easier to say than “wardrobe.” Whenever my sweet daughter asks if she can watch her favorite movie, she says, “Mommy, can I watch “The Lion, The Witch, and the Shkoff?”

2)Also, my son (one and a half) has been responding to questions with “niet” rather than “no,” and prefers to say “paka” over “bye-bye.” He also often says “foo-ka-ka” instead of “yucky.”

3)My daughter LOVES to run up the old women in our community and shout “Babushka!” as she gives them a big hug. The “babushkas” here love it. I am just waiting for the time, though, where this happens in America on our furlough this summer! Should be hilarious!

4)We were eating “pelmeni” (traditional Russian dumplings) one day, and after finishing her bowl, my daughter exclaimed, “Look! I ate all of my pelicans!”

Ok, now it’s your turn! What is the cutest/funniest things your kids have said? Feel free to share even if it wasn’t in a foreign language!

7 Responses to “Sweet Confused Multi-Lingual Children”

1. 1 Staci A March 28, 2009 at 12:24 am

Those are great! The things kids say keep our days so much more interesting!

2. 2 Alexis March 28, 2009 at 3:01 am

Love this post, and especially this picture – beautiful!!

3. 3 alatvala March 28, 2009 at 2:53 pm

Thanks, Alexis! And the picture was taken almost a year ago. She’s getting big, huh?!

4. 4 K.Genther March 28, 2009 at 5:17 pm

You should add the doggie comment πŸ™‚ As for funny things my “kid” says, it is just “step” up in a very mutted chirpy voice on his terms :-). Other than that the other month when Smocks (who calls me Na Na) met the Boyfriend she spent the entire evening calling him Ho Ho because when he knocked at the door I asked her who is it, and said maybe it is Santa. We opened the door together and she exclaimed to her blissful delight “HO HO!” and ordered him to come sit on the couch and play with her “Ho Ho sit, Ho Ho play.” It was hilarious and definitely broke the ice right away and my boyfriend just went right along with it the entire time. The funny thing is that my boyfriend is blonde haired, blue eyed and has no resemblance to Santa. We are both interested to know if the Ho Ho title will be a permanet name or not when they meet again. πŸ™‚

5. 5 Kimberly March 29, 2009 at 12:59 am

I can totally sympathize with you. Our two kids were born here in Honduras where we serve the Lord, so they are growing up with Spanish as their first language and English as their second. My husband and I try to speak only English in the house, but Spanish is still the preferred language for our 3 year old who has many funny stories. For example, the other day he wanted to play with a styrofoam sword that he has and he asked me for his Espada de the Spirit. Which would be the sword of the spirit.
    Enjoyed your blog!!!

6. 6 Sarah April 1, 2009 at 11:57 am

Loved your post. πŸ™‚ It’s so sweet to hear these kinds of stories. Our little ones keep us laughing with the things they say (my husband is from Norway, so that adds a third language in the mix – CHAOS!!) but we’re starting to see that our 4 and 1/2 year-old is really getting the languages straightened out in his mind which is a little bittersweet because I so enjoyed listening to all the mix-ups. Thankfully our little 2 year-old is still keeping us entertained and I’m trying to remember to write things they say down because it’s so easy to forget!!!

1. 1 Make Your Child Multilingual. | 7Wins.eu Trackback on April 2, 2009 at 4:56 pm