Make-It-Yourself: Toys

One thing that I’ve been enjoying lately is learning about different toys that I can make for free/cheap out of household items. My kids love most of these toys as much or often even more than the ones that we’ve spent a ton more on! I know a number of you might be in places with fewer toys available, and I would imagine that all of us would enjoy not spending money if we can find a free (or nearly free) substitute. Most of my ideas are for young kids, since my kids are little, so as usual, if you think of anything to add, feel free. Here are some ideas:

rice1

-Indoor sandbox: My daughter LOVES playing with a big plastic mixing bowl full of rice. She scoops and pours it into other smaller bowls, pretends it is food, buries small items in it to try to find, etc.

-Counting and sorting dry beans: Like the “indoor sandbox,” assorted dry beans are fun to run your hands through, practice counting and basic math, and are good for sorting (by color, size, etc). You can also do this with buttons and different types of pasta.

-Painting with shaving cream: I love putting a plastic table cloth over the kitchen table spraying a bunch of shaving cream on top. Then I turn the kids loose for some finger/body painting fun. I wish I had a pictures of this one!

-Painting with pudding: Also a fun project, but paint on paper instead. Hang the finished product up high if necessary or you might find kids, who like me as a young child, liked to take their art off of the fridge to  lick for an occasional snack. Yes, I actually remember doing this in pre-school!

-Homemade play dough: I just paid the equivalent of $16 for a small-ish amount of real Play-doh at Christmas that is already past its prime. That is way too expensive to keep buying, so now it is on to the homemade stuff. There are a number of different recipes here.

-Caps and lids: My friend, Addie, gave me this idea. Save and create a collection of old jar or milk lids, or any small-ish lids really (make sure you watch out for choking hazards). Put them in a big container and they can be lots of fun for pretty much anything for small kids.

-Homemade bubbles: shampoo+water= cheap bubbles. You can wrap yarn around wire hangers and make giant bubble wands. Lots of fun for the summer!collage

-Collage supplies: Cut up your old magazines and have a stock of pictures, as well as stickers, and other things (buttons, glitter, foil…) for collages. Let your older kids cut up old magazines themselves for this purpose, and suggest that they make collages based on different themes, or to describe their week, etc.

-Indoor snowball fight: This year we ended up with over 1,000 ministry fliers that were misprinted and essentially garbage. These have turned into “snowballs” (crumbled up a bunch of them into balls) on a number of occasions and we have had quite a few fun indoor snowball fights.

-Doll diaper bag: Fill a bag full with old baby supplies for your daughter to use with her dolls.

water-playCooking and “Mom” supplies: Set aside items for your kids to pretend to do what you do. My daughter loves to pretend to cook (dishes with a little water or real ingredients in them are especially fun), and especially loves it when I give her a damp rag when I am dusting or scrubbing sticky stuff off of the floor so she can help dust and clean. A clean sponge, an empty spray bottle, a mini-broom…. lots of fun for kids. (I am hoping that this excitement about housework lasts!!!)

24 Responses to “Make-It-Yourself: Toys”

1. 1 Joy February 21, 2009 at 10:00 pm

These are such great ideas! I love having them all listed in one place. I’m going to put the link in my ‘posts around the blogosphere’ spot on my sidebar.
    Thanks for sharing!!
    Blessings,
    Joy

2. 2 alatvala February 22, 2009 at 4:10 am

Thank you so much, Joy! I have enjoyed you blog a ton since finding it and was planning on asking you if I might be able to link to various posts of yours too! I’ll be doing that soon!

~Ashley

3. 3 Addie February 24, 2009 at 6:59 am

Those are all great suggestions for toys! I may be trying a few soon. I’m glad you like the caps and lids idea.

4. 4 Pink and Green Mama MaryLea March 13, 2009 at 10:41 pm

Love this post! My kids always play with whatever is around the house or yard and I joke with my husband that they spend Christmas morning playing with the boxes and wrapping paper instead of the toys. We’ve moved toward more homemade toys and have started giving some of our “creations” at the umpteen birthday parties we are invited to instead of store bought gifts. I think they are more thoughtful and the kids eyes light up when they open our presents! Your kids would love my Ocean Box, Construction Box and Winter boxes.

5. 5 Kermit September 18, 2013 at 9:12 pm

You need to combine practicality and personal touch in the gifts.
    With school books, notebooks, computers, video games, cell phones (not to
    mention snacks and water bottles), all having become “must have” items.
    Fortunately, these days baby bags come in manly colors and designs.

6. 6 www.stylehive.com December 2, 2013 at 4:14 pm

Weve got a very easy step by step process to transform
    your room to Santas Grotto, a Winter Wonderland Scene a even full Nativity scene and even more.
    The world’s best athletes and sportsmen and women will be competing for
    medals at the Olympic Park. One way of accessorizing
    a plain wall is by placing a large mirror that reflects all your bright decorations.

7. 7 social Media Marketing zahlen July 4, 2014 at 3:27 am

As some have found out the hard way, the First Amendment does not cover social media.
    People must perceive adding you on Facebook as interesting for them.

Read more about how to jump-start your social media marketing campaign. They’ll
    post tips about their products and how to use them that are probably useful to most of
    their customers. If you want to type in their
    name each time that is helpful, but takes a bit more time.
    If there’s money involved, people expect results and those results can be measured in terms of dollars made versus dollars spent.
    * Treat every incident as a learning experience to communicate with everyone in your company.
    binary domain reviews – Article Source: domain is a perfect game that need you have a try.
    1) GET A LIST: Our sample social media marketing plan begins with creating a list of 100 or more Network Marketing
    companies. 4: Yellow Pages Are Still the Most Effective Advertising Medium Every time I read a statistic
    saying that the highest percentage of veterinary
    clients come from the Yellow Pages, I shudder.

8. 8 Jude August 21, 2014 at 9:40 pm

It is important to give your Roberto Cavalli sunglasses good care
    at all times. We have a basic motive of promoting the Eco friendly environment.
    Then look no furthest than our Birds in a tree and Birds on a wire
    Casual Dinnerware sets.

9. 9 Ambassador House Painting Denver CO September 15, 2014 at 1:44 am

What’s up mates, its great article concerning teachingand
    completely explained, keep it up all the time.

10. 10 Plumber Repair Highlands Ranch CO Now September 16, 2014 at 2:52 pm

Howdy! Do you know if they make any plugins to help
    with Search Engine Optimization? I’m trying to get my blog to rank for some
    targeted keywords but I’m not seeing very
    good success. If you know of any please share. Appreciate it!

11. 11 celebrity dress malfunctions bollywood September 20, 2014 at 2:51 am

It’s also a great idea to add a link to your
    blog in your email signature, newsletter and even your business card.
    After washing the clip-in extensions, simply air dry them and store in a
    safe place. Cobras and Mambas inject Neurotoxic
    venom which will affect the nervous system and cause initial
    muscle weakness, blurred vision, difficulty in swallowing and breathing and
    eventually paralysis.

12. 12 Bankruptcy Attorney Fees September 21, 2014 at 7:02 am

Hello it’s me, I am also visiting this website regularly, this web site
    is really good and the viewers are actually sharing good thoughts.

13. 13 social media marketing pricing September 23, 2014 at 4:18 pm

We offer a whole range of SEO Services in Singapore.
    Your presence online is what a majority of your customers will base their opinion off of, so spend extra
    time and money on cleaning up your name, if it’s been damaged by
    negative reviews or unhappy customers. After so much spent or
    so many visits, offer a free product or percent off.

14. 14 new york city plastic Surgeon September 25, 2014 at 12:10 am

However, sometimes we need to do something a little more adventurous, or perhaps a little more pointedly self-serving.
    She left the doctors at the second hospital mystified as well.
    Some proper money movement and a breakaway from the Dolphins could land the
    tackle in an offense far better suited for his
    talents.

15. 15 moving services in atlanta September 30, 2014 at 6:51 am

Today, air pollution is a burning issue all over the world.

To begin with, get everyone who is helping you move a back brace.
    ‘Compare your electricity supplier with all existing suppliers in the market.

Many companies businesses don’t want to host their own data center and worry
    about connectivity, power, climate control, security, and the management
    of all the people and facilities required to host a data center.
    Mastering adds significant value and quality control to a
    musical artists releases. Online you get far more choice
    and can find the entire Sanderson Towels range online, something you cannot do on the High Street.

The Garmin Forerunner 310XT is known as a great training aid for multi-sport practitioners.

It is an art form, and to some degree, you are born with
    a photographer’s eye. If you are out in bad weather or just don’t like moving from block to block, valet parking can be a welcome facility needed at that
    time by saving you the hassle in finding a spot when parking is scarce.
    Water Country USA- the Mid-Atlantic’s largest water park which should
    not be missed this summer.

16. 16 optimization search October 2, 2014 at 5:49 pm

I have been exploring for a little for any high-quality articles
    or weblog posts in this kind of space . Exploring in Yahoo I at last stumbled upon this site.
    Reading this information So i am happy to exhibit that I have
    an incredibly excellent uncanny feeling I came upon exactly what I needed.
    I such a lot definitely will make certain to do not disregard this website and give it
    a look regularly.

17. 17 Furniture October 4, 2014 at 7:06 pm

My brother recommended I might like this web site. He was once
    entirely right. This submit actually made my day. You
    cann’t consider just how so much time I had spent for this info!

Thanks!

18. 18 comment-7711 October 9, 2014 at 4:04 am

My brother suggested I might like this blog. He was entirely right.
    This post actually made my day. You can not imagine
    simply how much time I had spent for this info! Thanks!

19. 19 Antony October 15, 2014 at 1:56 pm

There’s certainly a great deal to know about this issue.

I really like all the points you’ve made.

20. 20 Surprise Eggs unboxing toys October 22, 2014 at 12:49 pm

Fantastic beat ! I wish to apprentice while you amend
    your site, how can i subscribe for a blog web site?

The account aided me a acceptable deal. I had been a little bit acquainted of this
    your broadcast provided bright clear concept, http://www.pinterest.com/playdohvideos

21. 21 Rebecca January 22, 2015 at 11:57 pm

I do agree with all of the concepts you have introduced on your post.
    They are vefy cpnvincing annd can definitely work.
    Nonetheless, the posts are too short for newbies.
    May you please extend them a little from nexdt time?
    Thank you for the post.

1. 1 Are they missing out? « Missionary Moms Trackback on March 17, 2009 at 11:42 am
  2. 2 For Missionary Moms — Missionary Blog Watch Trackback on March 19, 2009 at 3:37 pm
  3. 3 1st Blogiversary! « Missionary Moms Trackback on February 8, 2010 at 5:05 am