Children And Scripture Memory

Truth transforms lives. This is something that we believe but too often do not practice. I thought about this as 2010 approached this year, how I say that the very Word of God holds such transformational power as the Holy Spirit uses it to speak truth into our lives, but how I contemplate and store up these words much less often then I ought to. What an amazing gift we have been given that we have access to the very Word of God…wow!

As a parent of young children I never thought about having them memorize scripture until they were “older,” perhaps five or six, until I watched my almost 2 year old memorize entire songs on her tape player (yes we are one of the few family that still listens to tapes). I picked a verse that I thought was applicable (Mark 12:30) and started saying it with her at every meal. Within 3 days she had the verse memorized. This was almost 2 years ago and she has now memorized 12 verses, which is far fewer then she is capable of.

This year we are trying to work on memorizing a verse a month together. It has been a challenge for me to remain consistent in saying it with her every day. I find that as I work on helping her memorize and understand the scripture God gives me greater depth of understanding into passages that I thought I “understood”. This has also served to be a great parenting tool. We memorized Ephesians 6:1 and when discipline needs to happen around here we use this verse to help her understand that God desires us to obey our parents.

Probably one of the most exciting things is how God uses my daughter’s scripture memory to speak truth into the lives of adults around her. She often wanders around reciting verses, meaning that the truth of Scripture is then heard, and with the power of God then has the ability to transform hearts of those whom she comes in contact with. For our family, scripture memory is a vital part of being missional, not only to those in our community but to our own children as we build in them at a very early age the truth that they need to navigate life and be transformed through the power of Christ.

When did you start working with your children on scripture memory? What are some things that you do to give the Word of God a prominent place in your home? Do you have any helpful ideas to share about how to help children learn the Word of God?

(Post by: Amie)

About these ads

7 Responses to “Children And Scripture Memory”

1. 1 Liz June 24, 2010 at 7:54 pm

Thank you! I realized my 3 year old is very capable of this and have been feeling the tug to start with him this summer. Thanks for the reminder on this busy day!

2. 2 Summur Braley June 24, 2010 at 8:02 pm

2 and a half, was my daughters age when we began. You are so right, she is always telling people the verses she learns. His word does not return void:O) Thanks for the awesome reminder. We really are blessed to have His word at our finger tips!!!!!!

3. 3 onemotherslove June 25, 2010 at 3:27 am

The first verses I remember teaching my son was when he was 3. His “Christmas verse” as we call it. We add to it each year. He memorized 24 verses in Awana Cubbies when he was 4 and at 5 he memorized a verse each week for kindergarten. It’s amazing. You can hear him at 3 doing his Christmas verse here:

4. 4 Ellie June 25, 2010 at 4:17 am

My kids learn verses at a church program and also as a part of school. We focus on learning large sections rather than scattered individual verses. Sometimes it seems a little odd when they learn those verses on one thinks they need, but then they come out with gems.

My eleven year old was complaining about what he thought was an unfair decision I had made in regards to a conflict between him and his nine year old brother, and said, “Yeah, but what about me! No one thinks about me!”

His seven year old sister listening piped up quoting a verse they had learned months ago, “Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment.” (Rom 12:3).

That was the pretty quick end to his complaining without me having to say a word!

5. 5 Ashley L. June 26, 2010 at 1:04 pm

Thank you for this, Amie! It is a great reminder because I go back and forth being consistent in this one and haven’t been very consistent lately. I have loved the Songs for Saplings CD as it has taught my kids a ton of verses and is a lot of fun. Other than that, they like plain old memorization at this point because the challenge is still new and exciting. I hope that interest sticks around for a long time!

6. 6 Angie June 28, 2010 at 2:02 pm

Wow, this is really great! Thanks so much for sharing about what God is teach you about parenting. I want to soak it all up before our first little one arrives next month. :)

7. 7 Jenna Surratt April 13, 2011 at 12:49 am

A couple of years ago when I was teaching my 18 month old words, God actually gave me a vision for a product that would help children with scripture memorization. That year, I made scripture flashcards for my daughter and all of her cousins for Christmas. My nephew was around 2 1/2 years old at the time and, using the cards, started memorizing tons of scripture. After much prompting from the Holy Spirit, last fall, my husband and I decided to start a small business called Truthcards and actually market the flashcards. A more detailed story can be read here: http://www.truthcards.org/blog/2010/10/29/how-truthcards-were-born/ The cards have been a huge blessing for our family in teaching our daughter scripture and our prayer is that they would do the same for all who receive them.