A Unique Gift for Missionaries

I have had a link up in the resources section for awhile titled “Free Cloth Diapers for Missionaries,” and I wanted to take a minute to tell you about this amazing company with heart to help bless missionaries financially! Cottonbabies.com has a wonderful program called the “Missionary Diaper Grant” that offers some of the highest quality, easiest to use cloth diapers (Bum Genius brand) free of charge to many missionaries.

I am raving about them now because just a couple of weeks ago, I found out that our family was approved for the grant! I know that for many of us, diapers are either incredibly expensive, or for some perhaps even unavailable (I am not sure how many places are still without disposables, but I bet in the more remote areas they are tough to find). We are expecting our 3rd baby in July, and with the economy being as it is, support has been a challenge for us. Also, apart from that, this is just a fabulous opportunity to be good stewards, and to my own great surprise, it really doesn’t sound as daunting as I had imagined. The health and environmental benefits are also pretty amazing!

I wanted to share about this as I know that many of you either are expecting, have babies in diapers, or hope to have more babies in the future. If you are open to the idea of cloth diapering (even remotely, because honestly I would have never thought our family would end up doing cloth overseas), I would highly recommend applying for the grant, of course after you research a bit and see if it is a good fit for your family. It simply involves filling out a survey that describes your ministry and desire/need for the grant. Their site also has pretty much any other diapering supply that you’d need, and you can even register for their special clearance/seconds mailing list where you can get updates on discontinued and slightly defected items for cheap. They sell gently used products as well, which is also a great money saver. Really though, the number of diapers and supplies in the grant that they gave was quite significant, and I probably don’t need to purchase much at all to be able to exclusively cloth diaper our little one.

And not to go on all day, but another great thing that I saw on their site is a diaper system called “Econobum.”  Even if you didn’t receive a grant, this system would allow you to cloth diaper a child from birth to potty training for about $100. It costs thousands to diaper one kid in disposables where we live, so $100 is nothing!

(And if anyone wondered, no, Cottonbabies didn’t ask me to write this post. I am just excited about this opportunity as it is such a blessing to our family and I would imagine that it might bless many of you.)

P.S. One more thing! You can donate gently used cloth diapers to Cottonbabies’ Missionary Diaper Grant program when you are finished with them and they can pass them along to missionaries!  Another way to help support worldwide missions!

(Post by: Ashley)

About these ads

11 Responses to “A Unique Gift for Missionaries”

1. 1 Phyllis May 16, 2010 at 5:03 pm

That link was one of the first that I noticed when I first came here. :) If we ever have another baby, I will definitely look into it. We’ve cloth diapered all of ours very simply (prefolds and cheap covers), and after 3, our set of diapers is in pretty bad shape. No, in very bad shape.

Cloth diapering can be a very expensive fad, but it can also be very practical and cheap, depending on how you approach it. There’s also the added benefit of easier potty training, and not using the “pampersi” that are considered so dangerous in this part of the world. Just wait until a babushka comes up to check what’s on your baby’s bottom, so that she can fuss about pampersi, and you get to explain. :) Hee hee.

2. 2 Sarah W May 16, 2010 at 6:51 pm

I received the cloth diaper grant a few years ago through Cotton Babies as well. What is wonderful is that it got me through two kids and now the diapers are being used at our baby shelter so they have really blessed us in a big way!

3. 3 ambrosia4 May 17, 2010 at 2:43 pm

I think this is an awesome system! I’m in the US and just switched from disposables to the BumGenius cloth system, and have to say it’s very doable (here, at least). If you’re able to wash them where you are, then I would say it’s should be quite doable and cost-effective overseas as well. And I VERY much like the BumGenius brand (I initially did a trial run of several types of cloth). Kudos to cottonbabies for helping missionary moms (and little baby bums!)

4. 4 Ashley L. May 17, 2010 at 3:02 pm

I’ve done some research and as long as you have a washer, it seems pretty easy. For those of you in Europe, I have heard that Persil sensitive is a good detergent to use (1/4 the amount you would normally use). Also, in a part of the world where the bidet is more popular, you can easily buy a small “sprayer” that is identical to the “diaper sprayers” that they sell in the US specifically for cloth diapers. Most sites suggest hang drying the diapers anyway (they dry fast), so no dryer required, though you can dry them if you prefer.

5. 5 Andrea May 17, 2010 at 5:29 pm

When I cloth diapered my oldest son here in Mozambique quite a few years ago now I came upon a “miracle” helper called Sterinappy. It is a detergent that you add to a bucket of hot water, dissolve and then add your diapers overnight to soak and voila in the morning they are spotless. It was a life saver for a mom who did all her laundry in a bucket.

6. 6 Sarah May 18, 2010 at 12:22 am

Thank you very much for the information! This was extremely helpful so I am very glad that you shared.

7. 7 Phyllis May 19, 2010 at 6:21 am

I wish I heard of that Sterinappy stuff back in the days (years!) of washing diapers in the bathtub. Where do you get it?

8. 8 Jennifer May 24, 2010 at 2:55 am

I also recieved a diaper grant when our first daughter was born. They were wonderful! Many friends then asked me about my diapers and 4 missionary friends have also recieved a grant. It’s a great help and I like that fact that when local moms ask me if I use diapers (rather than “pamper”) they are surprised that I don’t do things that differently than they do!

9. 9 gift ideas January 15, 2013 at 9:49 am

Unless you are planning a surprise party, tell your teen how many guests she can invite and
    let her create the guest list. It will help you
    to choose some special gifts for a special birthday celebration.
    After discussing with your parents, you can select a restaurant
    which is suitable according to your needs, preferences and most importantly the budget.

10. 10 squirrels April 20, 2013 at 11:47 am

Some people known as Nikon one V1 a conveyable DSLR the place you are able to
    just slip correct by way of your pocket but its shooting strength is identical as that of a DSLR.
    four GHz which is why you want to invest in a jammer
    that can tamper this signal. Make sure you get a
    decent resolution LCD with any camera in this category.

11. 11 Meir Ezra Business Coaching July 6, 2014 at 2:43 am

I have read so many posts about the blogger lovers but this post
    is truly a nice paragraph, keep it up.